Skip to main content

08/10/24 Zurich to Amsterdam to Las Vegas to home

We had an early wake up at 5 a.m. We were given some bagged breakfasts (which turns out were kinda horrible, but no big deal. We will end up having about 6 meals before we arrive home! haha)

We took a bus to the airport and were all settle in by about 7 a.m. Our flight was supposed to be 9:20 a.m. -  11 a.m. The connector was 12:30 p.m. -- which SHOULD be enough time to switch ... but they worried us a little. Our 9:20 didn't end up leaving until after 9:40 a.m. and then when we arrived we had to taxi awhile and it was about 11:30 a.m. when we finally landed. And we still had to get off the plane and go like 2 miles from the b-gate to the d-gate!  Lucky for us we had a handicapped motor coach -- seats 6 -- and they took us across the airport. Felt like it took FOREVER but it was fine!

On our flight from Zurich to Amsterdam the guy behind us had a mask on. And kept coughing. And then had a 10-sneeze sneezing fit. I thought we were doomed and would surely get sick!  But alas, we've been blessed.  As I write this it's a full week later and we had no ill effects from traveling!  Hallelujah!

By the time we got home it was 7:30 p.m. Utah time and we had once again traveled almost 24 hours from door step to door step. 

What a wonderful experience! I feel like we were truly blessed from start to finish. Andy was able to do everything. His stomach never got sick from the antibiotics. He was tired but not so much that it stopped him. The weather was great all week. We had a little cloudy and a very little drizzle but mostly just perfect...if you don't mind a little (lot) of humidity!

Last week there were some major problems with flights and delays. I had several friends get grounded and wait for DAYS to get home...like 4 days!  So I felt very blessed to have our flights workout perfectly and without missed connections. 

As we entered different areas people would say, oh we had such a storm yesterday. Or we had some of the excursions that got rained out or rained on...but we lucked out again and again with great weather!

And the people on the tour were so fun. We made so many new friends and just really enjoyed the experience. I'm so glad we went!  





This guy behind us is who we're going to blame
if we get sick after this trip!

Wow that's a long flight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...