Skip to main content

08/29/99 Letter from Rebecca Chase and to Rebecca Chase

I have lots of mending that needs done but I don't think mom will be here long enough to help much with it.  The kids have clothes galore that need to be made into shorts or holes mended.

We had a fun weekend.  Aj enjoyed swimming at Sand Hollow Aquatic Center with his cousins.  We had cake and ice cream for his birthday.  He got lots of cool 8 year old stuff and had a great time.

In the late afternoon we went up to New Harmony and visited with Grandma and pa and Eldon and Diane came down.  They are still in a pretty bad way.  They went up and saw the place where Becca died.  They were really sad when they got to Griffins.  We spend the evening together- had pizza and hung out.  

Sunday I taught the lesson on Living a Virtous Life - which is the new unit we are on.  It went really well - it could have gone a little better but I ran out of time to get things done and had some things go wrong at the last minute - but I sent you a copy of the lesson as it WOULD have gone IF it had gone well and I think it is really awesome and you should do it. You are probably going, huh? Whatever.  But several mishaps happened - AJ dropped the cake before we ever got there - so they didn't get that part.  I forgot to bear my testimony cause I was nervous.  I didn't have anyone lined up to sing so they had to imagine.  That part was kind of lame.  

I think I am done rambling.  I am SOOOO glad my class is over.  I was so stressed out about it.  And it really wasn't that big a deal.  I had 18 people and they were very reverent the whole time.  ( I think they were embarrassed and didn't want to talk???)  Now I have to plan our combined YM/YW activity in 2 weeks.  We are going to split into 2 groups.  One will go outside and learn about car engines - where the oil goes, where the coolant goes etc and change a tire.  The other group will be in the kitchen making soft pretzels.  Then we'll switch.  That should take 20 minutes each class. Then we will go out side and have water balloon volleyball type thing.  Eat our pretzels and go home.  Sounds pretty fun to me - and it shouldn't be too much work.  I got balloons for 10 cents a pack of 12 several weeks ago and some rubber balls you blow up for $1 each.  I'll assign out the filling of balloons to one of my other leaders and I'll get all the pretzel stuff.  My friends husband works for a tire store and they'll bring the car and the expertise.  Should be awesome.

I am pretty excited about YW lately.  We had about 6 girls who never came all summer show up yesterday.  I know 3 of them are really excited about YW now and look forward to coming.  I still have about 6 other inactive girls to work on.  Plus I gotta keep these girls coming.  

From: Rebecca S Chase <beck25@juno.com
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:14:58 -0600

Hi--Mom's here so I haven't written in a few days.  Sorry to leave you
hanging.

We have had a really nice visit.  We've painted and sewed and we still
aren't done yet.  She's leaving too soon!  Maybe she'll have time to come
back up here.  How much help could Ruth really need????  I suggested mom
bring the invalid up here on Wed so we can paint while all the kiddies
(all 3!!) sleep.  We'll see what happens.  I think they are planning to
come down on Friday to see you.  I don't know how long they'll stay.  I
know the wedding is on the 9th--not sure what day that is though.  And
mom is making the cake for that so....  Is the baptism Friday or
Saturday?  I thought it was the 3rd but that is Friday so it must be the
4th.  I don't think we'll come.  I wish you weren't so far away!

How was AJ's birthday?  Did he have a party?  I just reminded grams that
AJ's b-day was yesterday.  She thought it was Friday--she was a little
confused.  So she'll probably call tonight.

Ruth and Mike came up last night and we went out to dinner.  It was a
really yummy restaurant.  Italian and ribs in one place.  Mmmmm.

Walmart is having a reallly good deal on kids clothes again.  I got
Dillon 2 shirts that were $3 each and they are REALLY nice.  Mostly for
church but if he were in school they'd be perfect for that.  They didn't
have much in the way of girls' clothes.  I was bummed cause she's the one
that really needs stuff.  Oh well.  I'm sure she won't go nude!

Well, time to get ready for church I guess.  See ya.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

03/27/26 Trip to Italy, Day 4, Friday, Venice to Florence

We headed out around 9 a.m.  and got some breakfast in the train station. We played some games until it was time to go just at a table outside of the restaurant. We traveled from Venice to Florence by train… about 2 hours. It was really comfortable and nice and fun to watch the countryside go by. They even served soda and a snack on the train! Upon arrival we dropped off our luggage at the travel agency. Found some food at a grocery store and ate on a   bench on the street. The streets were sooo busy! We then had a tour of the largest cathedral in Italy, Duomo, the crypt below and Kevin and Becky climbed the bell tower. Over 400 steps to a beautiful view of Florence. Fun fact...every city in Italy has a Duomo -  Duomo means the biggest (most important) chapel in that city.  We walked back to our place…and wow!! It’s on the fourth floor and it is awesome. Very spacious 2B3b with a washer. There was a little tiny elevator to go up to the apartment. It had windows so yo...