Skip to main content

10/19/99 Update from Uncle Gary

10/19/1999
Dear Family,
All is well in Alabama! It is even getting cooler, why it was
only 82 today.
It has been down into the 50,s at night, though. We are all in
fairly good health, considering the condition we are in, Ha! Ha! Monica and
Chris celebrated their first year of wedded "Bliss" a couple of weeks
ago. She has had a sinus condition on and off all summer, and even spent a
night in the hospital because of dehydration. She seems to have that under
control now.

Last week she broke out with a rash, and had to go to a
Dermatologist today for it. He gave her Predisone (?) and some ointment and told her that if it wasn't noticeably better by Friday to call his office. He was
not real sure what was wrong, and did not rule out the possibility of a
reaction to a bug bite. Chris is busy getting ready for Hunting Season in his
Preserve, which keeps him hopping.

Diane and I are still plugging along. She is still doing a "Bang
Up" job at work, and is hopefully going to see a 5 - 10% pay raise this
month. I am working part time with our former Minister, Pastor Mark, in his
new position as Executive Director of the Lutheran Ministries of Alabama.
Mostly just Bookkeeping, and check balancing chores that he doesn't have
time for or doesn't want to cope with.

Grandma Davis is still basically the same, in her own little
world. She recognizes no one and talks virtually incoherently. She is still
in the Assisted Living Facility, Rosewood Terrace, but I don't know for
how much longer. Barbara, her Caregiver, had to raise her monthly fee to
$1,600.00 per month the first of October, and this is eating into her bank
account deeper and deeper. Having to pay for her drugs, at the rate of $450.00
to $600.00 dollars per month, doesn't do her account much good either.
Plus, her portion of the hospital stays at Baptist and at the State Hospital in
July and August look to be a couple of thousand, also. Life goes on, though. It
is so hard to visit with her, because she doesn't understand what you try to
tell her and just rambles on, whether you are through talking or not. She
doesn't want to be touched, hugged, or kissed. To her we are all strangers!

Well, enough of that! So, that's about all from here. I am glad
you are all doing well, and hope you continue to do so.
Love always,
Uncle Gary and Aunt Diane

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...