Skip to main content

01/18/15 Official - 9th ward; Wendy's birthday and Zion's

1/18/2015

Well it's been a long busy Sunday.  But it's official.  We are now in the 9th ward.  Our ward only includes cotton meadows, hobble creek, the olsen's the long's the cloves.  That's about the boundaries of our ward.  Seems like it's gonna be kinda tiny really.  Sounds like we still have some YM and YW but in the case of the YW they are mostly Laurels.


Our new Bishop is Bishop Carnivale.  1st counselor Brother Harrison (Max's dad).  2nd counselor Jerry Clark (Chauntel's dad) and executive secretary Dad.  Clerk Quinn Allgood.  


The other ward has Bishop Black, Barry Blake as 1st counselor.  Can't remember who else.


Brother Betenson is the new Bishop of the 8th ward.


There is a new 7th ward too.  They pretty much took our ward and split it up 3 or 4 ways.  


I think the 7th Ward Bishop is Bishop Spriggs.


Yup, changes EVERYWHERE!


Otherwise a pretty usual week for us.  


THe girls did the PVHS basketball camp this week.  Three days of playing 1.5 hours per day.  They also did all their other activities.  Katie loved it.  Holly was luke warm with it.  She is actually really good at blocking and seems to really help out her team but she seems like she'd rather not be bothered.  Funny girl.  


Monday night last week Dickie's and Gma and Pa and Eldon came over for Wendy's birthday celebration.  We had pizza before everyone came and then had ice cream cake.  There was a championship game on so the guys watched football and the kids played in Holly's room and we all just hung out.


Tomorrow we are planning a hike to Zion because of the holiday.  Gma and pa came down with a bad cold so hopefully they'll feel better and go too but not sure.  They cancelled dinner tonight because they didn't want to get us all sick.  Poor grandparents!!!  


I hope everything is going good in Spokane.  We love you and miss you!!!  


Little spiritual thought from Amanda Whitney...
My parents are wonderful! In this post I want to share one of the life lessons my dad taught me, that he probably didn't know he taught me.
As a teenager, I would go hunting with my dad. I had my own tag and Dad was my guide. He would occasionally select a location to drop me off, on my own, and instruct me to hike in a specific direction, with the plan to meet at another location. Although I was becoming more familiar with the regions we were hunting, my sense of direction didn't quite match my sense of confidence. There were times that I ended up in a completely different area than planned. Thankfully though, I was never lost because of one specific instruction I received from Dad. He taught that if I ever came to a road, NEVER CROSS IT. Dad knew the region well enough to know what roads I would be between and where he could look for me if needed. If I had ever crossed a road, it would have been much more difficult for him to find me.
Not only was this great advice during our time hunting together, but it has been a spiritual blessing for me as well. By following our Heavenly Father’s plan and never crossing the road of temptation, we are within reach of His protection, comfort and guidance.
Have you ever experienced the blessings that come from choosing not to cross the road of temptation?

 

Great happiness follows the choice to obey the commandments of Heavenly Father. I know it does!
-Amanda

Well I'm sure there will be lots more changes in the coming days for you and for us.  We'll keep you posted!  Love you lots! mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...