Skip to main content

12/03/21 Sepsis and Cellulitis strike

On Thursday, December 2nd, at 10 p.m. I (Shelly), went to bed. And all was well. Two short hours later Andy came into the bedroom and said he was really sick. He started vomiting and had a 102+ fever. He continued to have aches and pains and was miserable all night long. We figured he had the flu. 

All day Friday he continued to run a fever and basically slept all day. Around 5 p.m. he could hardly get from the bed to the bathroom and just seemed "off". As I was helping him back into bed I noticed his right leg was red and swollen. I told him he needed to go to the Dr and have it looked it. He was very resistant. I had to help him dress and make him go. 

Our first two stops were insta-cares and they both had 1.5 to 2 hour waits. So we decided we better just go to the emergency room. I figured we would be there 3-4 hours. Boy was I wrong! We were just 2 hours short of a week before we were released from the hospital. 





Shortly after arriving they took some blood and urine tests and evaluated him. 


He could hardly stay awake and for a short time his blood pressure was hovering around 63/26. The nurse came in to rouse him. They informed me that he had sepsis -- an infection that had entered his blood and was all throughout his body. He was really sick.


Several people tried to put an IV in. They had to get an ultrasound machine and a couple techs before they were successful.



They got a sharpie marker and drew a line to mark his infection which originally went from his ankle to his knee. 




Time for another IV. Another ultrasound. More techs.


The infection continued to rise up his thigh and his leg got redder and redder.


                                                      Starting to look like a map on his leg.


                                          My little bed with a window view...for the week.



              Infection spreads down into his feet and swells them up something awful.


Over the week he would feel better for a little bit but then feel awful. They tried about 5 antibiotics while we were in the hospital.




















I dunno what the heck this is...but it felt like it was a microphone listening in to all our conversations!!!!
hahahah








This guy...somehow he was able to get past Peggy Sue and visit everyday!!!!
Love our ministering Angel!






Dr finally decides he's good enough to go home.


But he's still really sick...for several weeks...







They send us home with the pharmacy...another three rounds of antibiotics before he finally started feeling better over the next month. 




I'm not sure he remembers Christmas...






Several weeks later and his foot and leg are peeling like crazy...but they aren't red and they aren't swollen anymore!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...