Skip to main content

04/09/25 Temple organist




St. George Temple


The organ is in the left front of the chapel



Church organ
The temple organ looks like this, only all white

Excerp from: 
8/21/95 Our ward here seems fickle.  Not really dedicated. Relief Society usually only has 10-15 sisters.  I was called to be RS pianist in December 94 and have really loved my calling.  It has made me practice and get better and not be afraid.  I have really enjoyed not having a big audience and being about to say, oh well, just a few people heard me screw up!  I hope I continue to practice and play in our next ward.  I never played for people before this and it was a real growing experience for me.  Someday I want to be good enough to play in front of sacrament meeting and not mess up!  I would love to be the temple organist and get to just practice in the peaceful chapel for an hour or two once or twice a week. It is so peaceful there.

      Three decades later, an unexpected path has led to a cherished blessing: this evening, I was set apart as a temple organist and ordinance worker! Durina a visit with my friend Sheron Stevens, just weeks before her passing from cancer, her sister-in-law, Celinda Stevens, surprisingly declared, "I call you to be a temple worker." Despite the geographical difference in our temple districts and the unexpectedness of her words, her prompting felt significant, especially given my long-held desire to be a temple organist.

The Lord's hand was evident in the following weeks. The Sunday after Celinda's prompting, I was called as a ward organist. Then, a few weeks later, my inquiry about serving at the St. George Temple resulted in a swift interview, referral, and subsequent setting apart as an organist.

While I'll begin as a substitute due to current openings, the experience of seeing the chapel's breathtaking all-white organ, guided by Toni Caplin (wife of Temple Presidency member Steven Caplin), was wonderful. I also learned  we are only permitted to play specific hymns in  the temple - although you can play the traditional arrangement or a modified arrangement.

With hourly shifts available from early morning to evening, I've offered my availability and eagerly await my place on the substitute list, hopeful for a permanent assignment.

The setting-apart blessing from President Caplin affirmed my calling as an organist and ordinance worker for the St. George Utah Temple, promising blessings of health, safety, protection, and temple blessings for myself and my family through this service. I am thrilled for this new chapter and the opportunity to refine my musical gifts, anticipating its positive impact on my ward service.

President Caplin's counsel resonated deeply: the role of a temple organist is often the culmination of years of dedicated practice. This truth struck me as I reflected on my own journey, beginning in childhood. It's a humbling realization that a lifetime of effort has prepared me for this sacred opportunity.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...