Skip to main content

06/30/87 Meeting Mom & Dad Griffin story





unknown date
I first met mom and dad in June of 1987.  I was 18 at the time and fresh out of high school.  I graduated on Friday and on Saturday was on a plane to Utah to attend BYU.  I didn’t know anyone west of Ohio and Andy was kind enough to pick me up at the airport and take me to BYU.  

    That same day I was invited to attend a family picnic with all the Griffin’s aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents etc.  I was taken in immediately by the whole family.  

    Mom and Dad always treated me special and kind.  

    As Andy and I were dating Mom took me under her wing and treated me like she was my mom.  She was so supportive of our getting married.  She even went so far as to take care of my wedding dress, flowers and food for our reception out here.  I never heard her complain about the added expense and bother.  My parents weren’t supportive and it really helped to have someone who was.  Mom even escorted me through the temple and sat with me as I was married.  She helped me primp and fussed over me like I was her very own daughter.  

    I remember as we were newly married we moved to Logan.  Money was extremely tight as both of us were attending college.  Mom and Dad had us down most every weekend and bought us Godfather’s Pizza and let us do our laundry for no charge.  (Speaking of Pizza, can you pass the parmesan?)   Sometimes we would even find a $20 bill in the ash tray of our car or stuffed in the side of my purse.  Mom was always generous giving us hand-me-down pillows, blankets, kitchen supplies, decorations, etc.   I don’t know if we would have made it without the financial support at that time.

    One bad memory I have is the day I hit mom with the horse shoe.  We were playing a game of horse-shoes – and I was not good at it.  I guess my shoe got carried away and hit mom.  I felt so bad about that.  No one in the family will play horse shoe’s with me now.

    Dad has always been a hardworking busy man.  I remember when I first met him he worked all day at the high school and then taught night school several nights a week.  I even had the pleasure of taking a science class from him.  I still enjoy reminding him that he only gave me an A-.  

    Some of my favorite memories are from when we would go camping together.  That was so enjoyable to be out in nature and have Dad explain all the geography around us.  I loved going on long walks and having mom’s cooking.  I even learned what a barking spider is on our trip up to Idaho, thanks to Dad.  

    I remember how sad we were when you left us in a motel in Moscow, Idaho and went home to Utah.  That was a difficult year for us and we realized how much we loved to be around our parents.  We moved back just 9 months later and have made it a priority to live close by.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

03/27/26 Trip to Italy, Day 4, Friday, Venice to Florence

We headed out around 9 a.m.  and got some breakfast in the train station. We played some games until it was time to go just at a table outside of the restaurant. We traveled from Venice to Florence by train… about 2 hours. It was really comfortable and nice and fun to watch the countryside go by. They even served soda and a snack on the train! Upon arrival we dropped off our luggage at the travel agency. Found some food at a grocery store and ate on a   bench on the street. The streets were sooo busy! We then had a tour of the largest cathedral in Italy, Duomo, the crypt below and Kevin and Becky climbed the bell tower. Over 400 steps to a beautiful view of Florence. Fun fact...every city in Italy has a Duomo -  Duomo means the biggest (most important) chapel in that city.  We walked back to our place…and wow!! It’s on the fourth floor and it is awesome. Very spacious 2B3b with a washer. There was a little tiny elevator to go up to the apartment. It had windows so yo...