Skip to main content

03/20/11 Spring Break!

3/20/11
Hi AJ!
The kids had spring break this week and so have been toodeling around the house looking for stuff to do. The girls went and stayed at Grandma and pa's house this week for a night.  I think they really enjoyed it.  They got to go to the happy factory where dad makes toys every week and the each got a little wooden car.  Grandma took them to the dollar store and they got "stuff".  A water bottle is the only thing I can remember and they've been carrying that around all the time.
The girls have been selling girl scout cookies...wanna buy some girl scout cookies!?!  Ha ha.  I don't even know how many thousands of dollars worth they've sold so far.  I think Rachel said our troop owes about $10,000 for the cookies we pre-sold and are currently working on selling.  Wow, that's a lot of cookies.  Our troop will end up with about $1200 if we sell all we have.  What we don't sell eats into our profits considerably (I think the troop only gets about $.40 per box so $3.10 we have to pay for each one we don't sell...or something crazy like that).
I bought a new sewing machine yesterday and made the girls cute little aprons (experimental project).  I'll send you a picture.  It is so nice to sew when it actually works.  Hopefully I won't kill my machine off too quickly.  I keep trying to make the one my mom gave me years ago work (it is an expensive nice model) but it just makes me want to say bad words...So I may have to just wash my hands of it and walk away...
We played ultimate frisbee last week for combind activity and had about 6 girls.  It is spring break week so some people were out of town.  Others just blew us off, like usual.  Oh well.  They are missing out.
My friend told me about a game where you put flour in socks and everyone wears black and you throw the socks at people.  I'm not sure of the details but it sounds pretty fun.
We are going to New Harmony today to have sandwiches with Ben and Laura and their gang coming too.  Hopefully it'll be fun.  Jared and family lives in town so it's likely to be pretty crowded.
My boss approached me and asked me to be the assistant treasurer for the city.  It's just some extra duties (not even sure there is any extra pay with it at this point).  They are working out some details and will let me know if it goes through.  Basically I'll have to sign checks and do deposits when the treasurer is gone and 1 week a year they will require the treasurer to take vacation and that week I'll work from his office and Kathy will do my job in my office.   It should be good...I was always curious about that job but never wanted to "do" it and give up my court in case I didn't like it.  Now if I like it and the treasurer ever leaves I'll know better if that's a direction I want to take.  If not, no biggie, right?
Well it's time to run the boys to church and head out the door ourselves shortly after that.

There is a lot of unrest in the world and it is sort of unsettling to think about but I know that things will be ok for us if we continue to try to do what's right.  Thank you for your example to our family and your service to the Lord.  You are molding yourself into a person that will be able to handle this crazy world we live in!  You are a good son and I love you!  I'm sending you a big hug and messing your hair right now.  I love you!!!!  Take care of yourself.  Love mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...