Skip to main content

04/15/12 Salsa and dating

4/15/12

Well the Grandparents are on an Elderhostel so we are all on our own for dinner today.  Sad, huh!?
Yesterday I bought 20 pounds of salsa and canned about 20 bottles of salsa.  So today, since we have an abundance of salsa, we are having Cafe Rio pork.  (It smells really good out there!)  Still have to make the tortillas....
I don't know what I was thinking buying that many tomatoes!  Luckily it was a rainy day and everybody had nothing better to do then help!
Friday night we had hikes we were supposed to do for YW Camp.  The weather was NASTY.  Seriously, blowing, cold, rainy off and on.  Each group of kids had a different leader assigned.  So I got the 2nd year girls ...Darby, Arrianna and Kyleigh.  Arrianna banged her head and wasn't feeling well so she ditched us.  Kyleigh was saying all along she couldn't go then last minute she could.  Darby was all excited all along and then seriously, as I'm walking out the door, says she can't!  So I go up to her house (with Kyleigh) and make her come.  But we get up to the top of the hill (Darby has been sick with strep and her mom isn't excited about me taking her and wants her back sooner than later) and the weather just seems AWFUL.  I tell the girls to stay in the van and I go check on how long they anticipate the hikes being etc.  AND I find out we are late (Had to wait while Darby got ready).  So I'm get the info on how far they are supposed to go and tell them I'll get them hiked somewhere else.  And take them to the mall.  I walk them around for about 40 minutes and take them home.  I don't know if that makes me the coolest leader ever or the worst leader ever.  I suppose it depends who you ask!  We had a nice walk around and Darby didn't get any sicker due to the weather so I feel pretty good about it!
We had 7 or 8 YW in church today!!!!  And 12 or 13 last Wednesday...so for the moment things seem to be picking up in the right direction!
Sister Katie Watkins said that in her mission one of the talks they presented was:

I don't know if you are able to access this or if you want me to send it in an email..but it was EXCELLENT.  It is totally meant for a missionary.  It helped me too but the main portion is about a missionaries experience.  I really enjoyed it.  I talked about it in my lesson today.  Katie mentioned that it really helped her too as she was struggling with some things that were holding her back from being a better missionary.  So let me know if you agree and your thoughts (and if you need me to send you the text rather than then link).
Dallas and Bryce went for their patriarchal blessing pre-interviews today.  I haven't talked to them yet to find out when they will get those.  That is pretty exciting.
Your cousin Maddie likes Dallas' friend Carlos and they went out 2X this weekend.  Bryce went to the Stake Dance and got to see the Maddie he is fond of.  Dallas is still fighting his sickness and goes to a specialist on Thursday to see about maybe getting some surgery on those big bad tonsils of his.
He also looked into the DXATC Diesel Mecahnic college and will probably start taking classes June 4.  He should be able to complete his certificate prior to his mission if he decides to persue the program.  I told him to try the 1 class this summer before he decides for sure...maybe he won't love it.  Nothing lost if that's the case.  He is pretty excited about it.
Well life continues in a whirlwind of activity!  You sound wonderful.  Keep up the good work.  You are such an inspiration and example to our family and others.  You have no idea!  XOXO mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...