Skip to main content

06/19/11 Girls Camp



6/19/11

Just completed another BUSY week.  GIRLS CAMP!
We had a really great time.  We ended up with 11 girls total from our ward.  12 if you count Jillian (she only came and did a fireside and left).  We had 5 non-members and 5 members staying in our camp site and Amanda Turner was a stake youth leader and stayed with the stake.






Laurie Turner was the camp director and she did a great job of lining up workshop and fireside speakers who were all excellent.
Our theme was happily ever after with all the princess type stuff.  The final theme was making it to the temple to begin your happily ever after.
We had a lady speak who was raised by a mother and father who did drugs.  She was passed back and forth as they would end up in jail.  She spent some time being raised by her grandmother.  At some point she moved here to Washington and a young 12 year old boy introduced her to the church and got her to come to church and tried to help her.  She moved away but kept in contact and through the years she eventually was converted and later married the returned missionary boy.  I did not do the story justice but it was pretty cool.
We had speakers talking about the 3 white dresses we will wear in our lives.  Blessing, baptism and wedding.  And the steps we need to take in between to progress to these white dresses.
One of our workshops was on etiquette and what is the right and wrong behavior.  For example is it ok to wear flip flops to church, chew gum, say freaking...etc.  She did a great job and had the kids really discussing topics that are sometimes touchy.
When we arrived at camp I told all the people in our camp site that the were not to wake up Sister Griffin unless they were dying, bleeding or vomitting.  So on the first night at 2:30 in the morning I hear..."Sister Griffin...I'm cold."  I guess one of them missed the memo!  So I got up, took her to the bathroom and put her back to bed in her coat.  And told her to NEVER wake me again...nicely!
There was a cool water slide that went down into a freezing cold lake.  I got the girls to jump in off the dock to join the polar bear club and then after a slide down stayed in the water for about 40 minutes.  I was the only one that did that.  Most of them just jumped in and then squeeled and got right back out.  A couple girls eventually came in for a little while but really most of them were out as quick as they got in.
We had a testimony meeting the last night that lasted about 2 hours.  I think there was only 2-3 that didn't bear their testimony.  All of my non-members got up and spoke about how they knew Jesus was the savior and they were happy for the experience to learn more about him.  One of them said she planned to start reading the scriptures and learning more.  It was really special.
Well I have a meeting in 10 minutes, BYC so I gotta run.  I love you lots and hope you are doing great.
(I saw a Picture of Elder Weaver on facebook...he made it home.  His homecoming talk is today.)

Can't wait to hear about your week.  Love you.  Mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...