Skip to main content

11/06/11 Chilly weather and more Halloween fun!

11/6/11

The weather has turned chilly cold.  It makes me want to climb in beside the fireplace with a good book and not go anywhere or do anything.  But alas...there is much to do!

So I don't know what the deal is with baptism here in the states but Fellicity said she was grounded and couldn't come to church today.  So do you think they will move her baptism date out? She was supposed to get dunked Dec 7.  The Sis missionaries even came to our ward today to see her I would guess. I think they said they have 14 wards or something like that.  So that was quite a treat.  And then she wasn't here.  Bogus!
I had 6 girls in YW today though.  I think that is a record.  And only 1 was a visitor.  Sis Whitney's granddaughter comes sometimes.  That was cool.  And Kristin Porter gave a really good lesson on healthy habits and developing good habits.  She is a pharmacist and very intelligent and she is really interesting to listen to.

Next week is State Conference.  I guess our stake has gotten so big they decided to split it into 2 sessions.  A 10 and a 1.  I am guessing it is a broadcast because who would want to speak 2x.  That would be super scary!  Our ward is assigned to the 10 a.m. session.

I have a leadership meeting today so no Grandma's for us today.  Probably good since there is snow to the north of us and it is cold and yucky anyway.  But sad. We do love to go to see them. We told them we'd come for family night tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Halloween was really fun this year.  I went to Katie's class first.  She has 30 kids (mostly boys).  Her teacher has a good handle on them though.  I showed the kids how to make turnovers and then they came up about 5 at a time and made their very own.  They rolled out the dough, put in the filling, pressed it shut and put butter on top.  Then they put it on a cookie sheet on parchment paper with their names on it.  I think they enjoyed it.
I took all the turnovers to the kitchen and they cooked them for me.

Then at noon I went to Holly's class.  They only have 20 kids so a little more manageable.  I was in charge of the whole party but had lots of helpers.  Dad came in his crazy Hawaiian outfit and there was a couple of other adults and the teacher and myself.  We had fishing (they got a ball, licorice, skittles, pencils in a bag).  Pin the heart on the skeleton.  Bingo.  Bean bag toss and making the turnovers.  I think the kids had a nice time.  We had to kind of rush because the kitchen wanted the turnovers in before 1 p.m. so that was kind of bogus.  But I think the kids were pretty happy all in all.

Tuesday was a super long day.  We had a small claims trial that took us clear till 9 p.m.  I kind of like it when that happens because I hardly have to work at all come Friday!  But it is hard too.

YW is still going well and we have a pretty good group most Wednesday's.  We made bibs this week for the nursing home.  Our turnout was actually about as bad as it's been - only 3 girls came.  But that turned out to be nice.  We probably couldn't have had too much more help anyway.  We got most of the bibs done and the girls had a nice time.

This week is Evening of Excellence...kind of a big tadoo.  We will have speakers talk about the different experiences they have had with the YW personal progress program.  It should be good.  I hope we have some turnout though.  I find the non members usually shy away from this type of thing so we might only have a couple.  That would be sad.  I have to take around invites today and try to really get them excited to come.  Wish me luck!

Well I better run.  My meeting starts soon.  Love you lots and can't wait to hear about your week.  Love mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/13/26 How Many Cookies?!?!?

  I planned to visit Washington City and go to the ladies luncheon (they do it monthly on shut off day). I found a new recipe that included putting smashed pretzels in the mix. (I had smashed pretzel, cereal mixture leftover from Christmas).  The recipe said it would make 22 cookies. I figured I would triple it and have 66.  Welp...they must have been some BIG cookies they were making...cause I got 126 cookies!!!!  What the heck?! I backed 24 of them and put the rest in the freezer. Someone will have a nice treat another day!