Skip to main content

10/18/15 Columbus Day and 27th Anniversary Trip to Brian Head, Utah

Waiting for dinner at restaurant in
Brian Head, Utah
October 18, 2015
Busy week!  Monday I had off for Columbus Day but the kids had school and dad had to work.  So I had a nice quiet morning and then after everybody came home we had Marlee over for Pizza and pickle ball.  She came about 4 p.m. and helped us make the calzones and then when Dad was done working we ate and played bounce off for a little while.  Then we went to the Green springs park and played pickleball until about 9 p.m.  She stayed and watched the voice until 10 p.m. and then we sent her home and the girls up to bed.  We all had a nice time and it was fun to visit with her!  Forgot to take pictures again so I'll have to have her back again, haha!

Waiting for dinner at
restaurant in
Brian Head, Utah
The girls stayed busy with the usual piano, church volleyball and YW this week while Dad had early games Wednesday and was super busy with his sports stuff.  Holly and I and the Riley girls spent Wednesday evening at the pool -  doing laps.  I am working on the lazy man iron man with AJ again so I needed to get lots of swimming in.  The girls decided to come and do my laps with me.  It was fun!  We got kickboards and noodles and just kept going lap after lap after lap for about an ho
ur.  The pool was pretty empty so we got to run up and slide down the big slides a few times in between some of our laps.  

Enjoying pastry at German Bakery in Glendale, Utah
Thursday morning I got the van some new brakes and got ready for our Anniversary trip.  The girls spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning at Gma and Gpa Griffin's.  I think they had a great time -- they came up to Cedar City with us on Thursday and we ate at Sonny Boys.  Then we went and showed the grandparents the lake on the hill and found the temple grounds.  They went back home and watched movies, did sewing projects (pillowcase for Holly), went to laser mania, mopped and vacuumed and did yard work.  They stayed plenty busy and had lots of fun from all I've heard!

Getting ready to head up the mountain to Brian Head
from Sonny Boy's in Cedar City
Dad and I rode the motorcycle to Brian Head.  We had a cute room with a little mini kitchen and movies and games and stuff.  They really packed a lot into a little hotel room.  We had a lot of fun watching movies and playing games and swimming.  Since we were on the motorcycle we didn't have a lot of room for "stuff" -- or extra food. So we planned to eat out.  When we went out Thursday evening to find a restaurant there were none outside our hotel!  Everything was closed by 7 p.m.  Ha.  So we went back to our hotel who thank goodness had an overpriced restaurant and we got pizza and nachos.  They were good but since it was the only place on the hill serving food and they were short staffed it was SLOW!

Ready to roll!
The weather report kept saying flash flood watch and rain expected Friday night and Saturday.  Coming up the mountain was very steep and windey so we really didn't want to come down on slippery roads (not to mention that it's not that cool to get all wet with no rain gear/protection!)  So we decided to leave Saturday and not stay the night (which we had already paid for).  Oh well.  The price we paid for the room for 2 nights was about the same we would have paid anywhere else for one night anyway.  Just figured better safe than sorry.  Instead we decided to take a long ride and go through Cedar Canyon down to Orderville, Glendale, Carmel junction and back through Zion National Park.  It was a beautiful ride on a bike.  The leaves were changing and the colors were bright and awesome.  

We found a little German Bakery on the way down in Glendale that served very overpriced and delicious sandwiches and goodies.  So we split a sandwich and some pastries out on the porch of the restaurant.  

At the lake on the hill in Cedar City
We got home and fortunately beat the rain storm so arrived dry!  We called and let Gma know we were home (so she wouldn't worry!) but that we were going to continue our weekend as a staycation and please don't come around and we'd still see them as planned Saturday.

Our house is so much more comfy than a hotel anyway!  We had great left overs in the fridge that we warmed up and watched BYU game with in our comfy couch!  Dad dictated some of his life story (a little project we are working on) and we went for a walk. It was just a nice quiet evening.  

Saturday Holly went to best friend's animal sanctuary out in Kanab with the girl scouts and I picked up Katie and did a little shopping and then we went to soccer with dad.  Watched Desert HIlls girls win and move on to the next round of finals. 

Waiting for the tunnel in Zion National Park
Katie sewed an apron for me -- which is amazing because she actually got the sewing machines to work!!!  She has several other projects lined up now that she knows the machines work!

Waiting for the tunnel
And we made cheese stuffed meatballs for Sunday dinner.  Then we mowed the lawn and dad made delicious little mini pizza muffins and I made some cream cheese stuffed snickerdoodles.  


 Fun week!  I should skip work more often!

Thought of the week: 
"The repetition of small efforts will accomplish more than
the occasional use of great talents."
--Charles H. Spurgeon
Great views while riding!
Looking cool in Zion

I think this is so true.  As I get older I can truly see the progress of little efforts.  Something that seemed impossible becomes possible and sometimes even easy with continued efforts at trying.  It is often easy to get discouraged and not want to try but if you just keep at it you can accomplish great things!  

I love you and am so proud of you for working so hard and doing so great.  What you are doing is not easy but it will bless your life and the lives of so many others forever.  


Can't wait to hear from you!  Love you!!!! Mom


Zion is so beautiful!




Tried to be artsy!  View through the rear view mirror!

Morgan, Taylor, Lo, Holly & Zie at Best Friend's in Kanab

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/13/26 How Many Cookies?!?!?

  I planned to visit Washington City and go to the ladies luncheon (they do it monthly on shut off day). I found a new recipe that included putting smashed pretzels in the mix. (I had smashed pretzel, cereal mixture leftover from Christmas).  The recipe said it would make 22 cookies. I figured I would triple it and have 66.  Welp...they must have been some BIG cookies they were making...cause I got 126 cookies!!!!  What the heck?! I backed 24 of them and put the rest in the freezer. Someone will have a nice treat another day!