Skip to main content

01/14/11 David's death, temple endowments, photobucket

1/14/2011

How are things on the other side of the world? Totally LOVED your last letter.  So full of enthusiasm and information.  Really enjoyable.  Keep up the good work!

So things are pretty much the same here.  The week has flown by full of activities and work and housework etc.  It's Friday night and everyone is doing the usual Friday thing.  Dad and Dallas are in Hurricane doing Snow Canyon v Hurricane game.  Bryce has a nasty cold and is "vegging",  the girls have played all day and just finished their jobs and settled in to veg with Bryce.  We made some M&M cookies and the house smells yummy.

We had a busy week in court -- about 45 customers.  Took about 2 1/2 hours.  Seems as though we are getting more tickets lately which means more phone calls, more paper work etc.  I guess that's good.  I don't get bored at work! Job security!

I found out this week that my brother died.  In September.  He had a heart attack. I guess I did a good job of making myself scarse.  I talked to the lady that tried to notify next of kin and she said she spent 2 days and was stumped.  Couldn't find any of us.  I told her that was the way we intended it and I was happy to hear she had such a hard time finding us.  She told us some interesting things about him (he was severely mentally ill) he has assaulted several people over the past few years. Sounds like he was decent when he was on his medications and a handful when he wasn't.  I am happy he never made it out of prison because I think he would have harmed someone given the chance.  It is a relief to know that he won't be showing up someday and making life miserable.  Sad.

Suzanne and Dad are going to the temple tomorrow to get out her endowments.  They plan to get sealed in a month or two.  That's pretty cool, eh?

So what's the deal with pictures?  Are you able to upload and send them or is your time too limited?  Can you go to photobucket and dump there there? If you can my login is sgriffin@washingtoncity.org  Then just hit upload and dump there in there.  If not...I guess we'll figure something else out.

So tell us more about your companion.  Can you get his mom's email address?  I've been getting to know Sister Martinez and Sister Watkin's mom's and it has been so fun.  Plus I get a little bit different information that is nice to know!  It would be fun to get to know his mom too.

Tell us more about your area.  Are the bugs a problem?  How's the food? Are you sweating to death?
Is there anything you need? want? are missing from home and would like to get (that fits in a tiny box and can be shipped around the world?) -- (so you can't put me!!!)

Do you have a frisbee?  I couldn't remember if you ever got one.  Do they have those there? Do you want one?

I have to teach on Sunday and the lesson is about centering your life around Christ.  It is a good lesson.  I decided to try the idea you said about giving out assignments, to encourage people to come...so far I got two responses...would love to Sis G but I'm going out of town Sunday!  Ha.  That didn't work!  No worries.  Maybe if I do this EVERYBODY will stay home and I can go to RS...just kidding!  We should have a pretty small group Sunday though since 2 of my regulars already said they aren't coming.

We had 3 non members and 3 members this week on Wednesday and the girls had a ton of fun.  They giggled and carried on while we played games.  Sister Caldwell came and interviewed everyone about personal progress and encouraged them to try to start doing the activities.  It was good time.

Well I don't want you to spend your whole computer time reading from me so I'll sign off!  Feel free to send us snail mail letters if you have experiences you want to tell us about but don't have time to write them all during your computer time.  Hope you are keeping a journal (and that we can read it..tee hee).

Keep up the good work.  You are a great example to many people.  More than you could even realize.  Love you so much. Mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/13/26 How Many Cookies?!?!?

  I planned to visit Washington City and go to the ladies luncheon (they do it monthly on shut off day). I found a new recipe that included putting smashed pretzels in the mix. (I had smashed pretzel, cereal mixture leftover from Christmas).  The recipe said it would make 22 cookies. I figured I would triple it and have 66.  Welp...they must have been some BIG cookies they were making...cause I got 126 cookies!!!!  What the heck?! I backed 24 of them and put the rest in the freezer. Someone will have a nice treat another day!