Skip to main content

04/10/16 Chase family visit

04/10/16
Just another normal week here at the Griffin home.  

Back row: Katie Griffin, Aspen Chase
Front Row: Sydni & Sam Chase and Holly Griffin (the triplets!)
Tuesday I went and met with a retirement counselor and it looks like I'm on target to retire at aage 56.  (I thought 57 so a little earlier than I thought).  He looked at our 401K and projected pension and he said I'm in a good spot.  He made a couple of suggestions but said really we're doing good. So that was nice. The thing I worry about is medical insurance.  I think we are pretty ok for everything else but that is the wild card. Fun to think about but gotta put it away now for about 9 years!

We played pickleball again this week.  The McAllister's have introduced us to two more couples so we have played a game or two with those other people now.  We saw them on Wednesday night and then again Saturday evening.  For the most part we are pretty good match ups so it's fun. 

Kevin and Becky came to visit with Sydni, Sam and Aspen.  They came Friday afternoon.  The adults went out to lunch and then Dad went to work while the rest of us went to the temple and did baptisms.  It took quite awhile.  We had ice cream at artic circle afterward and then it was already 10 p.m. when we got home!  Katie and Aspen stayed up late making posters cause Katie is trying to get on the student council.  Sydni and Holly stayed up late talking and hanging.  Sam hung out too.  

We had breakfast burritos and hash browns in the a.m. and then they headed home.  Super quick but really fun. 

The girls played soccer on Saturday in the rain.  Yucky!  Me and dad stayed in the car and worked on our lesson and stayed dry.  They didn't seem to mind.  They lost 0-1 so that was a bummer.  Katie was goalie and it slipped past her.  She beat herself up a little but she really did a good job.  Playing in the rain with a slippery ball is hard!
Last night was Hoppie's daughter Sydni's wedding.  It was over at the Dixie Alumni house and it was a nice event.  Seemed very well attended and fun.  They had a nacho bar and dancing. Katie and Holly even got up and danced a little.  

Today Holly is singing in church with Rycann, Jenna and Emma.  (It is our Easter program because on Easter it was fast Sunday).  I will accompany them.  They are singing He sent his son.

Thought of the week: President Uckdorf

The great enemy of charity is pride. Pride is one of the biggest reasons marriages and families struggle. Pride is short-tempered, unkind, and envious. Pride exaggerates its own strength and ignores the virtues of others. Pride is selfish and easily provoked. Pride assumes evil intent where there is none and hides its own weaknesses behind clever excuses. Pride is cynical, pessimistic, angry, and impatient. Indeed, if charity is the pure love of Christ, then pride is the defining characteristic of Satan.
Silly cousins!


Recapturing the moment of proposing!!!!


I have really thought about this quote this week as we have been preparing for our lesson on family unity and loyalty to spouse.  I have studied charity and the pure love of Christ and all attributes of a charitable person.  I have read about pride and that it was destructive.  I don't know that I've ever felt like pride was defined quite as well as it was this week.  He really puts out there in detail all the characteristics of a prideful person.  And I'm sure that when we analyze our own behaviors we can see where we've been guilty of pride and need to work. So take some time to think about Charity and Pride and work on bettering yourself by recognizing your short comings and trying to replace them with charitable behaviors. 

Kevin and Becky Chase, Shelly, McKayla and Dallas Griffin
Love you lots and so thankful for your example to our family. You are amazing and wonderful and I miss you!!!!  Love you!!! mom
Heading to the baptistry!


Grandma and Grandpa Griffin enjoying Artic Circle
treats after the temple

Beautiful St. George Temple
Enjoying treats with the Chase family.

D & McK enjoying Artic Circle treats

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

03/27/26 Trip to Italy, Day 4, Friday, Venice to Florence

We headed out around 9 a.m.  and got some breakfast in the train station. We played some games until it was time to go just at a table outside of the restaurant. We traveled from Venice to Florence by train… about 2 hours. It was really comfortable and nice and fun to watch the countryside go by. They even served soda and a snack on the train! Upon arrival we dropped off our luggage at the travel agency. Found some food at a grocery store and ate on a   bench on the street. The streets were sooo busy! We then had a tour of the largest cathedral in Italy, Duomo, the crypt below and Kevin and Becky climbed the bell tower. Over 400 steps to a beautiful view of Florence. Fun fact...every city in Italy has a Duomo -  Duomo means the biggest (most important) chapel in that city.  We walked back to our place…and wow!! It’s on the fourth floor and it is awesome. Very spacious 2B3b with a washer. There was a little tiny elevator to go up to the apartment. It had windows so yo...