Skip to main content

11/16/17 Thought that really touched me

From my widowed friend's Facebook page: the relative of one of our members made this observation regarding the concept of two steps forward one step back.
My husband's aunt sent this to me recently when I explained my life, since my husbands passing, often feels like a painful 2 steps forward and one discouraging step back.  With her permission I am sharing her loving response to me with you. 

Image result for inseam stitch
In seam stitch -- two stitches forward, one stitch back
''I was sewing some pajama pants for the grandkids the other day and decided to use a special stitch on the inseam, this seam sees a lot of stress and often rips out.   As I'm sewing using this special stitch, I realize the machine is literally going two stitches forward and one stitch back.   I don't particularly like this stitch, because it takes longer to sew, but it allows the material to stretch without the stitches breaking.  I kinda had an "ah ha" moment there, as I realized that often in life we feel we are going two steps forward and one step back, usually through our toughest times.  What if that slow movement forward is allowing us to stretch without breaking us?   What if it's building something is us which allows for extra movement without damaging us?   It sure feels terribly slow going, but could be preparing us for greater things. Just a thought.''

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

06/27/25 Drew Ellerman's Retirement Party

Steve Whittekiend, Kelly Carlson in front Mayor Kress Staheli in back Thad Seegmiller back of head Police Chief Jason Williams, Councilman Troy Belliston Jordan Hess, Councilman Bret Henderson, Finance Brian Brown Mayor Kress Staheli and Councilman Craig Coats Danice Bulloch (former City Recorder), Shelly Griffin Hana Park and Tara Pentz (current recorders) April and Drew Ellerman April & Drew Ellerman, Kathy Spring (former assistant to Drew) Bonnie Baker (current assistant) and Drew Drew