Skip to main content

05/01/11 Sunday lesson, Luau & soccer games

5/1/11


Pretty good and fast week again.  Let's see...where to start.  So this a.m. I was getting on before church to write to you and had a message in my in box.  So I looked at it was the calendar for May.  On May 1 it said, Lesson #15 Griffin. I was like...WHAT?  So I went to the closet to find the mistake (I was sure it was a mistake) and um...nope, it wasn't.  So I had to give a lesson with little or no prep.  I hadn't even read the lesson once yet.  (I usually read it way in advance to start thinking about things, ya know?) Totally NOT my thing.  Luckily for me I had already gotten lunch ready and was dressed and the girls were ready.  So I printed out the lesson and winged it.  It went ok I guess.  It's hard to judge yourself...so I'm not really sure but I survived anyway.   Ugh. We talked about missionary work and how there was a great amount to do even right here in our ward.  I tried to encourage them to work with all our nonmember girls and to be good examples etc.
Katie's LUAU was fun last night.  They put on a pretty good meal and then did about 1 hour of dancing.  They were really pretty good.  Lot of booty shaking.  The guys got up and did the hauka and some other loud chest pounding dances.  Entertaining.
The girls had 2 soccer games this week and they both love playing goalie.  They are pretty good at it too.  I think they won 3 out of 4 games.  They don't really care as long as there is a treat at the end.
Today we have a meeting with Stake Pres at 4 and then I have meetings at 4:30 and 5-6 for YW so we don't get to go to New Harmony.  Lucky for us though they have been gone for 10 days and have no food in the house so they were happy to come down here and eat with us.  So we'll eat around 6 tonight.  I made chicken, funeral potatoes, rolls, banana cream cheese pie and cookies.  Probably serve some beans too and maybe a salad for me and the old folks.  Lucky for everyone I found the whole lesson thing AFTER making all that or dinner would probably be lame tonight!
I got to do my treasurer duty 2X this week.  The deposits were $75,000 and $45,000.  WOW, huh?!  A lot of it isn't cash but still strange to know you have that much $ in your possession!
Well I hope you are healthy and well.  Love hearing all about your experiences and what's going on there so be sure to think about all the crazy and wonderful things that happended this week and share!!!
Love you lots and can't wait to see and hear you next week!!!! Holy smoke...it's only 1 week away!!!!
Take care, Mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

03/27/26 Trip to Italy, Day 4, Friday, Venice to Florence

We headed out around 9 a.m.  and got some breakfast in the train station. We played some games until it was time to go just at a table outside of the restaurant. We traveled from Venice to Florence by train… about 2 hours. It was really comfortable and nice and fun to watch the countryside go by. They even served soda and a snack on the train! Upon arrival we dropped off our luggage at the travel agency. Found some food at a grocery store and ate on a   bench on the street. The streets were sooo busy! We then had a tour of the largest cathedral in Italy, Duomo, the crypt below and Kevin and Becky climbed the bell tower. Over 400 steps to a beautiful view of Florence. Fun fact...every city in Italy has a Duomo -  Duomo means the biggest (most important) chapel in that city.  We walked back to our place…and wow!! It’s on the fourth floor and it is awesome. Very spacious 2B3b with a washer. There was a little tiny elevator to go up to the apartment. It had windows so yo...