Skip to main content

05/21/11 Can't pass the sugar or dr pepper challenge!

5/21/11
Well, how goes it?  Are you settling in to your new area?  Have you had any good successes lately?
Things are about the same here.  Just finishing up all the end of year stuff.  Katie did her last dance performance tonight.  Dallas had his band concert Thursday night to finish out the year.  Only 3 days of school left.  Can you believe it?
I spent 2 days over in Santa Clara learning the new court system that we are having installed in 1 month.  The state of Utah mandated we all change and we are one of the last courts to make the switch.  There are some good things and some bad things about the program.  I guess the worst part is just having to learn all over again how to do my job. But I'm sure it will come.  I'll just have to be patient with myself for a little while and realize that change takes time!
So my friend challenged me to go sugar free...you know trying to drop a couple of pounds.  I couldn't even make it 1 day (had birthday ice cream cake the 1st day) -- but I've been doing a little better...gave away my reese's pbutter cup and not eating quite as many cookies as I'd like.  I am totally a sugar addict!
Dad was trying to do the no Dr. Pepper challenge...also not real successful.  Oh well.
The weather has been so strange here.  Hot, cold, wet, windy...you never know what you are going to get.  Some of dad's games got rained out this week but then today was PERFECT...like 80 degrees and sunny.  Just a great day.  Me and the girls spent a couple hours up at the pool.
The girls also had a pampered princess girl scout activity today.  They got facials, manicure and pedicures.  They thought that was pretty cool.
We are trying to find Dallas a summer job -- he already got laid off.  Green Valley Cabinet shop let everybody but the owner's kids go not too long ago.  He interviewed with Dave and Delwin last week so hopefully they'll be inclined to hire another Griffin. We'll see.  I guess there are quite a few people who know them asking for jobs right now.
Did dad tell you he got me a Kindle?  I just finished my first book today.  It's pretty cool.  The only down side is I like to take my books to wet places...you know the tub or the pool...and I hesitate to take that anywhere wet.  But it is pretty sweet that you can have the scriptures, entertaining books, games etc all on such a little machine.  And when I fall asleep at night, no worries.  It turns itself off if I don't turn the page after a couple of minutes.
Well I hope you are hanging in and doing well.  Do you need another SD card for pictures?  Can you get that there?  You will really treasure the pictures later...and I really treasure them now!!!!  So let me know if I need to send you one.
Also what about your feet?  Any luck?
Can you believe Weaver is coming home so soon?  His parents are posting up on facebook how excited they are.  I think it is 4 weeks away and they are counting down.  They seem like really nice people.  They haven't really shared much (does he write long letters home?) but she will randomly tell me stuff to help you out or send me one of his photos or whatever.  Really sweet.
I noticed someone from Las Vegas just barely came into your mission.  They posted up photos of all the new missionaries.  Have you seen the mission mama's website.  It's pretty cool.  http://carlosmission.blogspot.com/  You've only made a couple of the photos but it's interesting to read her take on things.
Well another busy Sunday ahead.  Dad's first 7 a.m. meeting tomorrow and then I'm in at 8.
Take care of yourself!  We love you lots!  Love Mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...