Skip to main content

8/24/04 Letter from Deanna Laurito

8/24/2004
Letter from Deanna Laurito:  


Ray Laurito standing, Deanna Laurito seated,
Dillon Chase, Dallas and Bryce Griffin

Dear Shelly,
I continue to get the "message" - we have the anti-virus scan running all the time and we have run it to specifically try to eliminate the "message".  I don't want to send anything to you at work to create or generate more of them.

I have been really nauseated and actually threw up again today.  Immediately took an anti-nausea pill. I have taken them about 4 days (out of 5 days) since receiving the new chemo on Thurs.  Don't know if you have communicated with Becky this week, but we went up there on Saturday.  Kevin was putting in new windows with the help of his neighbor, Kevin.  Ray pretty much supervised but actually held the window in place while they located a tool or something and helped lift the windows into place - two outside and one inside.  Becky and I were to scrapbook.  My head had hung low most of the way there but when we tried to do the scrapbooking, I could hardly hold my eyes open or my head up.  

Completed the first 4 pages of pictures and gave in to sitting in a chair and sleeping.  I receive the next dose of chemo this Thurs and may be in the same vegetative state this coming weekend.  The reaction to the drug seems to occur a little earlier with this drug than any I've had so far.  I was pretty much the same way on Sun thru Sacrament meeting.    

Had an eye exam at noon today and ordered new glasses at Costco.  They should be in within 7 to 10 working days.  Maybe I'll have them next week.

We are currently planning to make the trip down to WC for AJ's birthday unless something goes radically wrong.  I won't be much company during the drive.  I'll probably sleep most of both ways.  Even short trips result in my eyes being closed.  We will come down Friday (arriving there hopefully before everyone is in bed).  We will probably come back Sun.  We may be able to go to Sac meeting with all of you and leave sometime after that.  I don't like displacing Bryce from his bed on a school night.  (Ray had said something about coming back Monday if I wanted to...but I don't think that is a good idea.)

One of the stairs has been poured.  It looks good.  It is framed in for the next step so that whenever Mike is available to pick up the AA U-haul cement it can go forward without delay.  It is exciting to think that I might actually be able to walk over to Mike and Ruth's without killing myself in the uneven ground and dirt piles.  I have been driving over.

Mike and Ruth got a new table and chairs.  They have the new tall legs.  I have never been able to sit on "bar stools".  They are just too uncomfortable.  The three of them sit at the table for dinner and Ean sits in his high chair next to me who is sitting in one of the roll-around chairs from a desk and a TV snack tray in front of me for eating.  It may seem silly, but it works for me.

The nanny's husband-to-be works for Back-to-Basics (they are small appliance manufacturers).  At our combined request, he purchased 2 new blenders for Ruth and I with his employee discount and was reimbursed.  These blenders have 1,000 watt motors.  They are very fancy.  Mike and Ruth paid for both of them and Mike told us it was our Valentine's Day, Birthday, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Halloween, and Hanukkah gift!  LOL  Ruth had a pretty nice relatively new blender which we have to bring to you, if you can use it.  I think it has a 300 or 350 watt motor.  Let me know if you would like to have it.  I'm sure we'll be talking to each other before we make the trip.

Hope all of you are well.  I looked for you online, but you weren't there.  Knowing this is court night I was surprised that you weren't on-line, but figure I should not bother you, you have plenty of work to do.

Love, Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

03/27/26 Trip to Italy, Day 4, Friday, Venice to Florence

We headed out around 9 a.m.  and got some breakfast in the train station. We played some games until it was time to go just at a table outside of the restaurant. We traveled from Venice to Florence by train… about 2 hours. It was really comfortable and nice and fun to watch the countryside go by. They even served soda and a snack on the train! Upon arrival we dropped off our luggage at the travel agency. Found some food at a grocery store and ate on a   bench on the street. The streets were sooo busy! We then had a tour of the largest cathedral in Italy, Duomo, the crypt below and Kevin and Becky climbed the bell tower. Over 400 steps to a beautiful view of Florence. Fun fact...every city in Italy has a Duomo -  Duomo means the biggest (most important) chapel in that city.  We walked back to our place…and wow!! It’s on the fourth floor and it is awesome. Very spacious 2B3b with a washer. There was a little tiny elevator to go up to the apartment. It had windows so yo...