Skip to main content

07/22/12 Dallas' talk about Camp Helaman

7/22/12 talk Dallas gave in church

Camp Helaman


Three weeks ago we went to Camp Helaman, which is for priest age young men.


It is a mission prep camp. We spent three days up in Cedar Mountain, learning how to be


I had the privilege to be one of the zone leaders of our 3 zones in our stake, my


duties included leading the morning devotionals for my zone. One morning I was to use


quotes from a conference talk and bare my testimony, then the second morning I led my


Here is an example of a morning devotional we might have put together.


ALMA 26:35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there


never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and


my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all apower, ball wisdom,


and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a cmerciful Being, even


unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.


The savior atoned for our sins and pleaded to his father to remove the pain.  He


had to go through this pain in order to save us from having to endure this pain, if we will


repent.  If we will acknowledge that we have sinned and then pray for forgiveness we


will not have to endure the pain for our sins.  


It was good practice to learn how to organize a devotional and lead a discussion.  


We had some great firesides and devotionals while we were up there, teaching us


both ways to help us while we serve a mission and ways to prepare us for a mission.  The


talks helped to reinforce my decision to serve a mission.


I learned a lot about the benefits of serving a mission which include learning to


budget, living with someone else, budgeting your time, teaching other, developing my


testimony and gospel knowledge and many more things.


I plan on following the example of my older brother AJ by serving a mission.  


Before my  brother left for his mission he started coming into Bryce and my room


each night and reading scriptures with us.  He helped us to get in the habit or reading and


praying each night.  Since he left  I have continued the habit of reading my scriptures and


praying every night before bed.   This has helped me through difficult times in my life


and helped to keep me focused and on the right track.


I have started attending the missionary prep class taught by Brother Chamberlain


and I have really enjoyed his lesson and look forward to continuing taking his Sunday


I am thankful for the leaders that spent so much time and effort to put together


such an inspirational and educational camp. It was a really great experience and I am glad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

03/27/26 Trip to Italy, Day 4, Friday, Venice to Florence

We headed out around 9 a.m.  and got some breakfast in the train station. We played some games until it was time to go just at a table outside of the restaurant. We traveled from Venice to Florence by train… about 2 hours. It was really comfortable and nice and fun to watch the countryside go by. They even served soda and a snack on the train! Upon arrival we dropped off our luggage at the travel agency. Found some food at a grocery store and ate on a   bench on the street. The streets were sooo busy! We then had a tour of the largest cathedral in Italy, Duomo, the crypt below and Kevin and Becky climbed the bell tower. Over 400 steps to a beautiful view of Florence. Fun fact...every city in Italy has a Duomo -  Duomo means the biggest (most important) chapel in that city.  We walked back to our place…and wow!! It’s on the fourth floor and it is awesome. Very spacious 2B3b with a washer. There was a little tiny elevator to go up to the apartment. It had windows so yo...