Skip to main content

08/02/15 Bounce-off match, Challah bread, peanut butter cookie demo and Marlee

08/02/15

Fast Sunday today...so hard to fast until 4:30!!!!  

It's been a good week.  We are finishing up the last days of summer and I'm kinda sad!  Monday night we had the usual pizza and then we got this new game called bounce-off.  It has a bunch of ping-pong balls and you have to line them up to match the card you draw.  You compete against 1 person or have 2 teams.  So 4 is the most that can play.  

Anyway, we did some teams with Dallas and McK and the girls and mom and dad.  Then the Taylor's stopped by (they had been up to Canada to get the kids and brought us back honey and other little things.  So Dallas & McK had to leave and they stayed and played a couple of rounds with us.  It was fun!  

Tuesday the girls did Volleyball and I worked.  Wendy had mentioned that her neighbor brought Challah bread (never heard of it, googled it, had to have some).  So Katie and Chloe made me Challah bread. Loved it!  

Wednesday was YW and Katie went to the temple to watch one of the movies they show there. 

Thursday was Katie's cooking class.  We had about 12 or so people come and she demonstrated and then gave everyone her peanut butter cookies.  It was just over an hour and it was fun!  She did a great job and had some good tips for everyone.  She's so grown up!

Friday Dad and I went to Apollo Burger with B&L, Mom and Dad, Nick and Ann and us.  It was nice.  Got do visit for about an hour.  

Saturday the girls and I and the twins went to Dickey's (the ones that live by Gma and pa) and swam for about 3 hours.  About 1/2 way dad got his story done and joined us.  We had the whole pool to ourselves almost the whole time so it was awesome!  And it was a little overcast part way through so we didn't get too red!  

 Marlee came over last night for dinner.  We visited a little while.  We had rice and chicken, corn on the cob, homemade bread, peanut butter cookies and candy.  It was yummy.  After dinner we played play nine. It was fun.  She stayed until 9:30 ish.  It was a nice visit.  We talked about Pittsburgh and her mission and her work and college and life in general.  Sounds like she is doing great and on the right path.  

Anyway I am enjoying our game nights and play time and not looking forward to busy school year coming!  The girls are going to new schools and so they will both have to figure things out pretty quick.  I think they will both enjoy it and it will be a good transition.  I'm not worried!

So a little excerpt from my Finding peace, happiness, and joy book: 
(A young man was struggling with things he was asked to do in the mission field.  Felt his new president was doing things the hard way, or the long way or the wrong way.)

Yummy Bread! White and wheat.  Only took 1 hour!!

There is a great freedom in a positive attitude when it coincides with the will of the Lord.  No matter how difficult the day, you can have the realization, "I am here by choice."  I will conform my attitude and obedience to this call.  I accepted it by the exercise of my agency.  I have thus qualified, as I am obedient, for the inspiration of the Holy Ghost and the magnifying power of God.  This will aid me to do my part.  There may be some things I am asked to do that are really unnecessary, but my obedience to them without allowing them to become stumbling blocks builds character. 

Sometimes when we are asked to do unreasonable things, it is a test of our willingness to live by every word that proceed from the mouth of the Lord or His servants.  There will always be compensatory blessings. 

So I hope that you are doing well and enjoying your work.  We are so proud of you!  Keep up the good works!  Love you! Mom.
Katie demonstrating making the perfect
peanut butter chocolate chip cookie

Brother and Sister Hamer, Sister Fullmer and Sister Long
enjoying Katie's demo

Taylor's, Wrights and Sister Rae also
enjoying Katie's instructions

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

03/27/26 Trip to Italy, Day 4, Friday, Venice to Florence

We headed out around 9 a.m.  and got some breakfast in the train station. We played some games until it was time to go just at a table outside of the restaurant. We traveled from Venice to Florence by train… about 2 hours. It was really comfortable and nice and fun to watch the countryside go by. They even served soda and a snack on the train! Upon arrival we dropped off our luggage at the travel agency. Found some food at a grocery store and ate on a   bench on the street. The streets were sooo busy! We then had a tour of the largest cathedral in Italy, Duomo, the crypt below and Kevin and Becky climbed the bell tower. Over 400 steps to a beautiful view of Florence. Fun fact...every city in Italy has a Duomo -  Duomo means the biggest (most important) chapel in that city.  We walked back to our place…and wow!! It’s on the fourth floor and it is awesome. Very spacious 2B3b with a washer. There was a little tiny elevator to go up to the apartment. It had windows so yo...