Skip to main content

11/09/15 Letter from Dad to BJ

Seems like we've been missing each other in the chat time lately, so I thought I'd write you a letter. First off, I've included a cover of the MoTab album that most closely resembles what you requested -- do you want this one? Also, what format -- MP3, CD? They don't rewally have any jazz albums. Maybe I could find a couple of individual tunes on itunes if you know which ones you specifically want and if you want them in digital form. Just tell me the exact names of them and I can maybe get them for you.

As for life, well it's been busy, with the fall sports finally starting to wind down over the next couple of weeks. But I'm fat and happy.

I think you'll be shocked at how much your sisters have grown up. Katie looks and acts (mostly) like she's 18 and Holly acts just like a young woman, which she'll be in a month. It's very starnge to see how quickly they're growing up and it makes me a little sad because I know it won't be that long before they fall in love and move on with life. Katie certainly has very high standards in life -- she wants to be class prez and honor society prez and valedictorian -- and she's already excellent at piano and saxophone. Amazingly, she's still a bit of a slob with her bedroom and she doesn't much care for household chores, except maybe baking things.

Holly is very cheerful and happy and that's a blessing. We asked her during a game we were playing what here best attribute was and she said it was her desire and ability to smile a lot. That's a good one.

Your mom is an exercise fanatic, never, ever missing her early morning workout. She also works out on Saturday. The only bad part is it seems she is always exhausted by 8:30 at night, which is the middle of the day for me. It will be interesting when we retire, because we have very different schedules. Hopefully we can meet in the middle.

AJ seems to be doing well and having fun up there working on his master's degree. I sense a little frustration from him that he hasn't found "the one" to settle down with, but hopefully he will before too long.

Dallas and McKayla seem to be doing all right. She's got a little bit stronger personality than he does and tends to get her way, but he puts his foot down sometimes. That's all part of marriage. But he works a lot -- pretty much 7:30-5:30 every day and some nights he'll work until 6 or 7. That's adulthood. But I think he likes his job.

You also won't believe how much this neighborhood has grown. All that new phase is pretty much filled out now and our older section is completely jammed. We have actually thjought about selling and getting something smaller, since we have too much house now, but I don't think we're actually motivated enough to sell -- and move. Too much work.

Not sure what's going on with Marlee. She seems a bit frustrated with the system. I suggested that maybe she should serve one of those 1-year Utah missions for those with medical issues. Who knows what the Lord has in store for her. We want her to be happy. She seems very bored and lonely right now.

Well, I have a show to put together tonight -- graphics and highlights -- so I must go. I should be available after 1 tomorrow if it works out. Is this transfer week? Let us know what happens.

Love you and miss you a ton!

Pops

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

03/27/26 Trip to Italy, Day 4, Friday, Venice to Florence

We headed out around 9 a.m.  and got some breakfast in the train station. We played some games until it was time to go just at a table outside of the restaurant. We traveled from Venice to Florence by train… about 2 hours. It was really comfortable and nice and fun to watch the countryside go by. They even served soda and a snack on the train! Upon arrival we dropped off our luggage at the travel agency. Found some food at a grocery store and ate on a   bench on the street. The streets were sooo busy! We then had a tour of the largest cathedral in Italy, Duomo, the crypt below and Kevin and Becky climbed the bell tower. Over 400 steps to a beautiful view of Florence. Fun fact...every city in Italy has a Duomo -  Duomo means the biggest (most important) chapel in that city.  We walked back to our place…and wow!! It’s on the fourth floor and it is awesome. Very spacious 2B3b with a washer. There was a little tiny elevator to go up to the apartment. It had windows so yo...