Skip to main content

11/12/15 Letter to Dad & Suzanne Laurito

Everybody is doing well here.  Katie just got inducted into the Junior National Honor Society and was made the treasurer.  Her and Holly both have all A's and are loving school and school life right now. 

Holly is busy with girl scouts (she just completed her Silver award, 2nd highest achievement in GS).  She sang a solo verse in the primary program last month and is singing in a quartet this week for stake primary leadership meeting.  She has only a couple activity days meetings left and will be officially a young woman in one month from today!!!!  She plays volleyball for city rec team and is doing well with piano and trumpet.  She was asked what her best quality was recently and she said it was that she could smile and be happy.  She has tons of fun happy energy and loves life!

Katie is just 6 weeks from leaving the beehives and becoming a mia-maid in young women's.  Holy smokes!  She joined the art club and has been marching in the band parades and had a concert recently.  She is playing saxophone and has had a couple of solo parts.  She is really good at the piano and doesn't seem to get freaked out like I do when asked to perform.  She is also on the same volleyball team as Holly plus the church league.  She is done with girl scouts (she also got her silver) -- we are finishing out this year and then going to probably retire from scouting.  

The girls enjoyed Halloween.  Holly went with her friends and filled a pillow case pretty full of candy in their 3 hour hunting.  Katie went to a girl's party in our neighborhood and they played games, ate goodies and hung out.  I dressed up and stayed home on the porch handing out candy to all the little spooks that came by.  

Dallas and McKayla are settling into their new place and seeming to do well.  They have pretty much got everything they need and then some as far as furniture and stuff.  Dallas is staying busy working lots of hours both for Kenworth and on the side for Andy (video taping games/interviews on the weekends).  McKayla is in school studying to be a surgical tech - the person that hands the surgeon the tools in surgery.  It is a 2 year program.  Once she has that she will be able to get a really good job and decide if she will continue on to get nursing degree or not.  She is also working lots of hours as a CNA (nurse assistant) for a home health and hospice company.  So she goes to people's homes and cares for them. 

AJ is working on his masters and working 2 or 3 jobs. or 4.  I dunno.  He stays super busy.  He does intramural sports and lots of school and just is always doing something.  He hasn't been down for a long time but hopefully he'll come down for turkey day.  The last couple of weeks he has been working up in SLC area for Andy so it's kind of our fault he can't come home!

Bryce is doing well.  Still in Spokane Valley and he really likes it.  He has less than 9 months left on his mission already.  You can always check out his blog elderbrycegriffin.blogspot.com for lots more details and pictures. 

Andy is busy with ending of football season and before he can take a deep breath basketball season will be upon us.  He loves it and is good at it!  

I'm still doing my same thing...just celebrated 19 years at Washington City Justice Court.  (I had about 2 years in Logan so I'm on the down hill slide of this working thing!)  Of course even though I could technically retire in less than 10 years I don't know what we'd do for insurance.  When it gets closer I'll have to see if I can figure it out.  Otherwise I'll just have to keep on working!  

Hope you guys are doing well and enjoying life.  You should come visit again some time.  The weather is MUCH better here then at your house!!!!!  At least this time of year, anyway!

I wish I could have come up and spent the weekend up there but the girls have perfect attendance at school and won't let me pull them out and we've got activities and such going on.  I miss you!!!  

Love you lots!
Shelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/13/26 How Many Cookies?!?!?

  I planned to visit Washington City and go to the ladies luncheon (they do it monthly on shut off day). I found a new recipe that included putting smashed pretzels in the mix. (I had smashed pretzel, cereal mixture leftover from Christmas).  The recipe said it would make 22 cookies. I figured I would triple it and have 66.  Welp...they must have been some BIG cookies they were making...cause I got 126 cookies!!!!  What the heck?! I backed 24 of them and put the rest in the freezer. Someone will have a nice treat another day!