Skip to main content

07/03/86 Missing home and sight seeing

07/03/86 Thursday

I think I've learned to tolerate some things.  Since last Friday we've had no hot water and I've been taking COLD baths (no showers here!).

Musee Jacques Andre
Also I think I might like animals except all the dogs here smell SO gross! Also they have fleas!  There is one cat here that is ok.  He looks like mittens only he doesn't have white paws.  He is pretty clean too.

I have got to meet some people my age or I'll go crazy!  I can't stand not going out and going things for a whole summer.  I'll go nuts!

I miss home so much!

I guess I shouldn't complain.  I do have a nice house and Colette is nice but when I think of what I gave up I want it all back.  I loved my job, marching band, church, Rob, driving, freedom, understanding what people said, Mom, Dad, Becky, Ruth....EVERYTHING!!!
Senlis Cathedral

If I had some real friends here I would enjoy this A LOT MORE.

Today we went and saw a real big castle (Musee Jacques Andre) only we couldn't get in because it was closed.  It was real neat.  After that we drove to the Senlis Cathedral and walked around in there. It was very pretty.  On the way to Chantille we picked up a hitch-hiker also going there.  We went to the Parc du Chateau gardens. They are very big but also plain looking.  They weren't worth 12F it cost to get in.

Chateau du Grand Jardin
We then went to the Eqestrian Museum of Chantily (horses).  We spent a few hours walking through and seeing the horses.  It was neat. I enjoyed that.  It was rather expensive - the reduced rate was 25F.  I can't afford all these expensive places in one week!

Tomorrow I think we are going to Paris or Versaille.  I can't be sure.  Maybe we aren't going anywhere!
Equestrian Museum of Chantilly


After dinner I went for a jog/walk around the village.  It is very hilly so I jogged down the hills and walked up the hills.  It felt good.  This is the 2nd time I've gone.  Except this time I went further and this time I'm wheezing!

If I keep eating the fattening hamburgers and bread all the time I'm going to come home fat -- and have fleas too!  No one will love me then!

I keep hoping I'll meet someone my age - walking around or whatever - but it seems there is no one.

Inside Equestrian Museum of Chantilly
I wish there was a Mormon church, they'd have activities.  Maybe I'll go catholic for the summer, or protestant.  I don't like not going to church at all.  It might become a habit!

I am so homesick I just want to cry!  Tomorrow is the day of all the big parades and parties and everything and I'm going to miss it.  And when it happens here I will have no friends to spend it with!

I knew I loved my life at home but I never knew how much!  I am ALWAYS thinking about it!!! (that's not good.  I need friends!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/13/26 How Many Cookies?!?!?

  I planned to visit Washington City and go to the ladies luncheon (they do it monthly on shut off day). I found a new recipe that included putting smashed pretzels in the mix. (I had smashed pretzel, cereal mixture leftover from Christmas).  The recipe said it would make 22 cookies. I figured I would triple it and have 66.  Welp...they must have been some BIG cookies they were making...cause I got 126 cookies!!!!  What the heck?! I backed 24 of them and put the rest in the freezer. Someone will have a nice treat another day!