Skip to main content

07/07/86 Lundi in Honflour

Today was the best day I have had since I left - except for maybe the last day of orientation. 

We traveled to Normandie today to Honflour.  It was a trip in itself.  Colette got lost again and was flipping out as usual.  Then she decided to beat the system and she went on the highway the wrong way.  I was praying big time that she would figure out what she was doing before we became dead meat.  All the cars were flashing their lights and she finally realized what she had done.

I found out she has a soft spot for more than just animals - she always picks up hitch-hikers.  Today we picked up two.  They were a little hesitant about getting in because we had the funeral car and you can't see until you are in!

Honflour is great!  I love it.  It is so beautiful.  It is a very old town and we are right by the harbor. There are ships everywhere.  The little village has lots of shops, cafes, museums and churches.  I would love to stay here! 

Her friend is very nice.  We walked around for about 2.5 hours through the town and then we had drinks in one of the cafes and dinner in this cute little restaurant.  It was crepes.  I had apple and eggs/gambon - very good!  For dessert I had mysterie chantilly - It is the greatest ice cream dish w/whip top!  I could eat it forever!

It seems as though all Colette's friends are single. Either divorced/died/bachelor.  Interesting. 

No windows here have screens.  It is so strange.  I thought it was just Colette's town but it seems to be a lot of France has no screens.

Tonight we are watching Far West '89.  Another American film.  Pretty good.

I thnk if I wasn't so afraid of messing up French I would speak ok.  Instead I don't speak at all.

We will be here for 4 days.  i found that out when Colette began ironing -- everything. Usually she only irons one outfit at a time.  So I decided to ask how long we would be in Honflour.  I love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/13/26 How Many Cookies?!?!?

  I planned to visit Washington City and go to the ladies luncheon (they do it monthly on shut off day). I found a new recipe that included putting smashed pretzels in the mix. (I had smashed pretzel, cereal mixture leftover from Christmas).  The recipe said it would make 22 cookies. I figured I would triple it and have 66.  Welp...they must have been some BIG cookies they were making...cause I got 126 cookies!!!!  What the heck?! I backed 24 of them and put the rest in the freezer. Someone will have a nice treat another day!