Skip to main content

10/02/11 Conference, Marathon & a Holly funny

10/2/11

Well the typhoon reports out of the Phillipines this week are kinda scary.  I am sure you are fine (mission president said you were prepared and not to worry) but it still looks wet and yucky and miserable and scary!  So how did you weather the storms?  From what I can tell the pictures we are seeing are about 200 miles south of you...so does that mean your area was ok?  The latest report said 59 people died from the storm.
Did you get transferred?

We are watching conference right now so I am trying to pay attention and write to you.  It's been a busy but good week.  Court was once again very busy and long.  Worked until 9 p.m. again this Tuesday.  I gotta cut that out.  I really dislike being in the building after dark alone.  Gives me the willies.  Dad came over when I told him I was alone but I feel bad making him come over.  It's kinda boring.  We handled 61 cases from 3:30-8 p.m. Tuesday.  That is a lot.

I have 7 days to take off before my yearly anniversary date at work which is Nov 7 or 11 or something.  Can't remember exactly...but it's coming fast.  So I need to take off a couple of days each week until then.  (Ya, right?:!)  So I took off Thursday and Friday this past week.  Wow...that was nice!  Dad and I will be married 23 years on Tuesday (so I probably will hardly see him that day!) -- so we got a suite over at the Abby Inn and spent the night Thursday.  We went over and then had to come back to do some things for YW (Marathon this weekend) and then went back.  We went out to eat and walked around St. George.  We went for a late night swim.  Stayed up late.  Slept in.  Ate a yummy breakfast.  Ran some errands.  Went to the strip mall and then came home.  It was so nice to have some quiet time alone.

The kids did ok with out us.  Came home and the house was really nicely picked up.  I think we should leave town more often!  They do better without us.  Dallas and Bryce are better parents than we are!!!
I took the girls swimming and to the library Friday afternoon.

Saturday I got up at 3 a.m. and got hot water ready for the kids to have hot coco.  The boys got up a little after 3:30 a.m. and we got to church around 4 a.m.  We had to get out tables and boards and make sure we had all the "stuff" for the marathon.  We had a great turnout.  38 people all together.  We got up to Veyo around 5 a.m. and by 6:40 were all ready for the runners.  The kids had donuts and hot coco while we waited.  Everyone was very cheerful and helpful and happy.  I think the first runners came through a little after 7 and then it was a mad house until 8.  Shortly after 8 we started cleaning up and by 9 ish we were ready to head down the mountain.  (Much faster than I remember last year being).  I was very happy!!!  The boys had to play in the band until 12.  They were TIRED boys!!!

Sister Condie called and asked what I was up to last night.  Her hubby was going to conference and she was going stir crazy.  I told her I had some errands to run and asked if she wanted to join us.  She did.  She brought her car since she has 3 car seats and we took paper to recycle.  Then we went to the DI.  She helped me find costumes for Katie and Holly.  Katie wants to be a mime and Holly a University of Hawaii cheerleader.  We did really good.  Got Katie a jumper and t-shirt with matching hat and shoes and got Holly a skirt and shirt and shoes(not matching...just shoes) for $24.  The shoes will work for both girls for school too (which they needed) so I felt really good about that!  I'll have to get some pix and send them to you.  Today I made a big H for Holly's shirt and put glitter around it.  Came out cute.  Still need to find her pom poms and she has some green sneakers so she is going to be really cute.

I asked Holly if she wanted to be a mime like Katie and she was like..."NO WAY!  I couldn't be QUIET that long!!!!"  Ha, doesn't that sound like her?!  So instead she is going to be a loud in our face cheerleader!  Go Holly!

I will try to send a pix or two on a separate email.

I hope you are doing well and staying dry!  I love you lots.  I'm enjoying 4 days away from work now and would be happy to be away a little longer.  I finally feel relaxed and happy and I'm going to have to jump back into a busy week tomorrow.  Darn!

XOXO mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...