Skip to main content

04/07/18 Service Project

I have been the visiting teacher for Nicole Fillmore.  She is a lady in our ward who has struggled with addiction and I actually have known her through work.  I have never seen her at church although her mother did come a time or two last year when she lived with Nicole.

Through work I've been able to develop a friendship and kind of keep an eye on her. 

Last fall she was in an accident where a large barrel hit her and damaged disks in her back.  She is unable to stand upright now.  She has also lost a lot of weight.

Nicole has a big beautiful yard.  As I visited with her I asked her several times if I could help by getting her a food order or doing yard work or taking her shopping (she doesn't have a driver license right now).  She repeatedly turned me down.

Recently I asked again (for about the 4th time) and she said yes, she could use some help.  She said she had what we needed so we planned to go over  (Holly, the twins and myself) and get the yard done in about an hour.

Saturday morning she texted that her spark plug wasn't working on her mower but she was buying another one.

We arrive and she had purchased the wrong spark plug and we were unable to get the mower working.

We had edger and blower and so the girls got busy right away clearing leaves and debris from the winter while I tried to figure out what to do about a mower.

I called Dallas and he agreed to come over. He confirmed the wrong spark plug and went over to our house to get our mower. He could have just left it but sweet boy that he is he got the mower out and went right to work mowing the back and front yard.

Meanwhile I had seen the Taylor's and they lent me their mower and I did the side yard.

Our project ended up taking about an hour and a half but the yard looked beautiful when we were done.

I feel so blessed to have good people in my life who step up and help without hesitation.

Toward the end of our project everyone was done but I wasn't quite finished.  Dallas was worried for my safety and didn't want to leave me there alone so he patiently sat and waited while I finished to make sure that I left without incident.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

03/28/26 Trip to Italy, Day 5, Saturday, Florence

We stopped at a local restaurant and got some breakfast tarts and then went to the Academia and saw the statue of David and had a tour. We returned to the same Restaurant and had panini sandwiches for lunch. Then we went to the Uffizi Museum for another tour. We had yummy gelato and took a rest for a while.  We walked through the leather market and to a cool bridge. We walked around the city awhile into we came to a restaurant that was super cute and we ate outside. We had ravioli and pizza. We walked a bit more after dinner and then came back and played games. Academia Statue of David A bum shot Kevin and a cello One of the first pianos ever Early pianos Art in the Uffuzi The ceilings!  Art in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Bridge of Sighs, Florence Shelly in the Bridge  Florence Florence Andy and Shelly in the Uffuzi Art in the Uffuzi Florence Florence Trash bins in Florence Restaurant in Florence Outside in the street...so quaint! Restaurant in Florence Restaurant ...

01/12/26 Just a couple of things going on

Every Monday night we do family night pizza. This has included Eldon and Diane for quite awhile now. They left on a round the world cruise and will be gone from January - May. So we sent them a pic of these two cuties and told them we missed them.  Found this fun scratch off -- you can mark everywhere you've been. We want to travel in our retirement and thought this would be a fun way to keep track of it. (We also have a world map but I think 1 on the wall is enough).  SO this is our little inspiration wall to remind us to get out and see the world! Holly painted this picture on her wall a couple of years ago. I added some words and music notes in vinyl to it. I'm working on turning her bedroom into my music sanctuary.  The WELCOME pineapple sign was starting to peel off. I took off all the vinyl and painted the words instead. Gave it a nice refresh! We signed up for classes at the college too -- currently we are taking World travel, AI (artificial intelligence), Aging an...

08/23/25 Organ

The Washington First Ward Building was sold to the City of Washington. Part of my responsibilities included dispensing of the organ and pianos in the building (along with other things).  It is an Allen, approximately 1970s.  I put the organ up on the auction. There were a couple of other people that were bidding on it, but I ultimately won the bid (for under $100). On the day I won the bid I was able to arrange a mover!!! I paid $250 to have someone from the piano store move it to our house (I have no idea how he managed to get that into the back bedroom....but he did it!!!) Then, it wouldn't work. 😭 I waited for approximately 6 weeks before a guy (who had to be 80 years old) came down from SLC and repaired the organ. (So the organ wasn't actually broken, it had to do with the electricity and the house talking nicely to one another.) It took him a couple of hours to figure it out. He charged about $200 and voila! I have a working church organ.  Cool, eh?  Now, I got...